Report a problem

What should I do if I have been treated unfairly or had my collective agreement rights violated by my supervisor or the university?

If you have experienced unfair treatment or our collective agreement has been violated by your supervisor or the university, you can file a grievance—a formal complaint under the collective agreement. Though the grievance procedure is complicated, AMURE can help you through it; our goal is to protect your rights. We recommend that you contact us as soon as possible, so that we can assist you.

Before you file an official grievance you are required to request an informal discussion with your supervisor. We recommend you make this request through email so that there is a record of it. Often grievances can be worked out much more quickly in this manner. If you would like support in this meeting, AMURE can send someone to accompany you.

Your supervisor is obligated to reply to your request within 10 business days. If the supervisor does not respond, or the informal meeting does not resolve the problem, you can file a formal grievance.

At this point, we ask that you contact AMURE so that our experienced staff can help you through the grievance procedure. It is imperative that you contact us as soon as possible, because there are a number of time limits on filing a grievance.

The entire grievance procedure is contained in section 11 of our collective agreement.